The Evidence-Based Medicine Debates series was created by Powered 4 Significance LLC, a Blue Ocean Pharma LLC company, based on an identified need for an open dialog among physicians involved in disease research and management, for a better understanding of important and controversial issues in disease diagnosis and treatment. The goal of the EBM Debates™ is to bring together researchers, thought leaders, and treating physicians to gain insight into the evidence base and enable informed decision-making.
The focus of this newly launched and unique program in 2012 will be Alzheimer's disease, given its importance in society and healthcare today. Launched in March, the first debate covered, "What is the role of neuroimaging in the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease." The next debate covered "Why are there so many late stage drug development failures in Alzheimer's disease."
Key components of the program
- Live, online debate series driven strictly by the evidence in the literature and its interpretation by treating clinicians
- Debates to focus on the level of the evidence in the existing literature
- Debates will be formatted based on formal debate criteria
- The audience will have the opportunity to weigh in on the level of the evidence presented by objectively evaluating the arguments based on prespecified debate criteria
- Audience questions can be submitted in advance for consideration by either e-mail or video submissions, or during the debate via online submission
- Many questions not addressed during the debate will be addressed through post-meeting commentary